Harmon has a long history beginning in 1876 with the first section of the park being donated by Thomas Perkins and James Hartford. It was known as Third Ward Park and was the southeast corner between 5th and 6th Avenue and 29th and 30th Streets. It later became known as Lincoln Park. The next section acquired was the Chatauqua Grounds with other portions of the park being purchased with funds received from the Harmon Foundation in New York City. The park has had many features throughout the years including monkey cages and pony rides in 1928. In 1936, a $35,000 bond issue was passed to build a pool and bathhouse. The pool opened in 1937. Another attraction with a lot of history is the Rock Garden. Work began on it in 1936 and ended in 1940. There are rocks from all 50 states located in the Rock Garden.