Construction of Memorial began in 1940, but was not completed until 1946. Lights were added to the field in 1946 for a mere $7,500. The park is named in honor of the service men and women who fought in World War II. Initially Memorial Field was home to the Kearney Irishmen. In 1956 the Nebraska State “D” Rookie League formed with the support of Major League Baseball. The park then became home to the Kearney Yankees. In the present day, Memorial Field has been home to Kearney Legion Baseball and the University of Nebraska-Kearney baseball team. Improvements continue to be made to the park, but the historical ambiance of the park remains.