Not every criminal incident is an emergency that requires an immediate police response. Non-emergency calls to 911
can slow the police response to true emergencies and can reduce the time that beat officers have to work with the community on solving longer-range problems.
The City of Kearney established a flexible telephone system for people to report non-emergency situations to the Police:
- The Police non-emergency number is (308) 237-2104.
- The Sheriff non-emergency number is (308) 236-8555.
A non-emergency incident is one that does not:
- Involve a crime in progress.
- Pose an imminent threat to life, bodily injury or major property damage or loss.
- Require the immediate dispatch of a police unit.
Non-emergencies include crimes such as pick-pocketing, theft from an automobile, deceptive practices, criminal damage to property, garage burglary, auto theft and other offenses in which the offender is no longer at the scene.