Open Burning is Prohibited within City LimitsOpen burning of any kind is not permitted within the City of Kearney limits. Please contact the Fire Department at (308) 233-3226 if you have questions or are aware of any open burning taking place in Kearney.
Open Burning Outside City LimitsOpen burning outside the City of Kearney is permitted when conditions are acceptable as prescribed by the Fire Chief and with written permission on the Open Burn Permit form prescribed by the Nebraska State Fire Marshal. These forms can be obtained at either Fire Station. Permits are issued on the day of the burn only.
General Condition Guidelines
- The person supervising the burn will remain in the immediate area until the fire is out.
- Wind speeds and forecasted wind speeds do not exceed 15 mph.
- Wind direction will not blow smoke across roads or highways creating a hazard to traffic.
- Burn area is not close to:
- Trees and vegetation where hot embers will cause them to catch on fire
- Burn pile does not contain:
- Waste petroleum products
- Building construction waste materials
- Wire insulation
- Other items prohibited by NDEQ Title 129 Chapter 30
- Open Burn Permits are good on the day of the burn from 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (8:00 p.m. during Daylight Savings Time).
- You must ensure your fire is out and will not rekindle.
- You will call 9-1-1 if the fire gets beyond your control.