- Home Page Links
- Boards & Commissions
- Board of Adjustment
Board of Adjustment
- 4:00 p.m.
- Fourth Monday of each month
- Council Chambers at City Hall, 18 East 22nd Street
- To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is error in any order, requirement, decisions or determination made by the Building Official, or his/her designee in the enforcement of these regulations or any regulation relating to the location or soundness of structures.
- To hear and decide, in accordance with the provisions of any zoning regulation, requests for interpretation of any map.
- To authorize, upon appeal, variances from the strict application of these regulations where by reason of exceptional narrowness, shallowness, or shape of a specific piece of property at the time of enactment of the zoning regulations; or by reason of exceptional topographic conditions or other extraordinary and exceptional situation or condition of such piece of property, such strict application would result in peculiar and exceptional practical difficulties to or exceptional and undue hardships upon the owner of such property.
- In exercising the above mentioned powers, the Board of Adjustment may, so long as such action is in conformity with the terms of these regulations, reverse or affirm, wholly or partly, or may modify the order, requirement, decisions, or determination as ought to be made, and to that end shall have the powers of the Building Official from whom the appeal is taken. The concurring vote of four members of the Board shall be necessary to reverse any order, requirements, decision, or determination of the Building Official, or to decide in favor of the applicant on any matter upon which it is required to pass under these regulations, or to effect any variation in the application of these regulations.
MembersView members of the Board of Adjustment. The Board of Adjustment consists of five regular members, plus one additional alternate member who shall attend and vote only when one member is unable to attend for any reason.
Each member shall be appointed by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council for a three-year term. A majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.