News Flash Home
The original item was published from 10/21/2011 2:59:27 PM to 11/19/2011 12:05:01 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: October 21, 2011

[ARCHIVED] KVFD Wants to Keep You Safe and Warm this Winter

As temperatures outside drop and heating fuel costs increase, families may use alternative heating equipment. What they may not realize is that turning up the heat can increase the risk of home heating fires. Nearly all of these home heating fires are preventable. “You can stay warm and safe by taking some simple precautions and by using alternative heating equipment properly.”

KVFD recommends some simple home heating safety tips so residents can help keep our community safe and warm this winter:

• Space heaters need space. Keep all things that can burn, such as paper, bedding, furniture, and people at least 3 feet away from heating equipment.
• Turn portable heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room. Never leave small children or pets unattended when using portable heaters.
• Plug power cords only into outlets with sufficient capacity and never into an extension cord.
• Inspect for cracked, frayed or broken plugs or loose connections. Replace before using.
• Have your chimney inspected each year and cleaned, if necessary.
• Burn only dry, well-seasoned wood in fireplaces and wood burning stoves.
• Use a sturdy fireplace screen.
• Allow ashes to cool before disposing. Dispose of ashes in a metal container.
• Follow manufacturer instructions to store and refuel space heaters.
• Install smoke alarms outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. For the best protection install smoke alarms in every bedroom, interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home — when one sounds, they all sound. Test smoke alarms at least once a month.
• Install and maintain a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area.
• Never use an oven to heat your home.

Facebook Twitter Email