The Kearney Volunteer Fire Department would like to remind residents of kitchen hazards. This past weekend the Fire Department responded to two fire calls involving kitchen fires. The first, caused by unattended cooking, initiated the evacuation of the apartment building with four residents seeking medical attention. The second, caused by paper sacks stored on a stove top igniting when burners were accidently turned on. Both fires could have been a lot worse if they had not been caught in the early stages of the fire process.
Below are some recommended kitchen safety tips:
• Keep your kitchen clean! Wipe up any grease spills and never allow paper towels, dish cloths, or other flammable objects to be left near a heat source.
• Heat cooking oil slowly, under cover, over a moderate setting with constant attention.
• Keep pot handles turned in to avoid bumping or knocking hot pots over.
• Foods from microwaves are very hot! Use kitchen gloves or pot holders to prevent burns or scalds.
• Dress safely for cooking! Avoid long dangling sleeves or loose garments.
• Don’t overload electrical outlets!
• Never pour water on a grease fire! If frying foods ignite, smother by putting a lid over the pan, then turn off the stove or burner.
• Never put butter or grease on a burn! Run cool water for 10-15 minutes over the injured area to minimize the damage and relieve pain.
• Every kitchen should be equipped with a portable fire extinguisher! Have an ABC multipurpose dry chemical fire extinguisher or a class K fire extinguisher for use on grease and oil fires.
If you have more questions or concerns, please contact the Kearney Fire Department at (308) 233-3226.