The City of Kearney, in partnership with the Community Redevelopment Authority and Downtown Improvement Board, is proud to announce the awards of the 2023 Downtown Rehabilitation Grant Program for ten projects. This annual grant program is competitive and we appreciate the excitement and vision downtown property owners have as well as the significant personal investment they make to maintain these historic properties.
The Downtown Rehabilitation Grant Program is designed to encourage renovation and preservation efforts for downtown buildings. Property owners were able to request funds to address various improvements, including but not limited to façade improvements, roof and brick repairs, historic window replacement, fire suppression systems, electrical upgrades, and other eligible renovation costs.
2023 projects receiving funds include:
- $18,000 to Design Matters LLC at 2311-2315 Central Avenue to complete façade renovation.
- $18,000 to Sayler Enterprises at 2000 Central Avenue to complete façade renovation.
- $18,000 to Gary Michaels Clothiers Building (Torney Taylor LLC) at 2118 Central Avenue to complete energy efficiency and interior improvements for new upper-story housing.
- $18,000 to Celebration on Central & Kearney Combat Sports (David Klone) at 2217-2219 Central Avenue to complete façade renovation.
- $10,000 to Olivia’s Salon at 2025 Central Avenue to replace historic windows and doors.
- $6,000 to Paddy O’Mally’s at 2011 Central Avenue to make roof repairs.
- $6,000 to Suite Child at 2304 Central Avenue to make roof repairs.
- $6,000 to Bruce Furniture at 2426 Central Avenue for HVAC and energy efficiency improvements.
- $2,500 to Olde Towne Alchemy at 2017-2019 Central Avenue for façade improvements.
- $2,500 to The World Theatre at 2318 Central Avenue for sidewalk repairs.
Congratulations to all of the grant awardees. The 2024 Downtown Rehabilitation Grant Program is anticipated to open in 2024. If you have any questions about the grant program, please contact Brenda Jensen, Deputy City Manager at (308) 233-3232.