State of Nebraska Permissible Fireworks will be available in Kearney on June 29, and can be purchased from licensed fireworks stands and discharged as follows:
June 29 through July 2 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
July 3 and 4 8:00 a.m. to Midnight
Section 4-613 of the Kearney City Code states “It shall be unlawful for any person to throw any firecracker, firework or any object which explodes upon contact with another object:
A. From, at, or into a motor vehicle.
B. Onto any street, highway or sidewalk.
C. At or near any person.
D. Into any building.
E. Into or at any group of persons.
Consumer fireworks, if used in accordance with their instructions are usually safe. Used improperly they become very dangerous causing injuries and destroy property. The National Council on Fireworks Safety urges consumers to follow these import safety tips:
• Only use fireworks outdoors.
• Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
• Children under the age of 16 should only use fireworks with Adult Supervision.
• Always have a bucket of water, or water hose, nearby.
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
• Parents should pay special attention to children using sparklers. Children should not touch the lit portion of sparklers, throw them or play games with them. Sparklers can be dangerous, if used improperly.
• Preplanning your evening’s outdoor fireworks display makes for a safe and fun neighborhood fireworks display.
The Fire Department would like to remind citizens that they need to clean up the debris in the street by placing the debris in a bucket of water to cool. Don’t let your fireworks destroy another person’s property. Use fireworks responsible.