Preventing Child Abduction
Around the country, thousands of children are reported missing each year. Some children are found and returned, others return home on their own. Some of our children are never found or returned.
There is nothing that devastates parents, friends, and a community more than a reported child abduction or attempt kidnapping of a child. Child abduction is not only committed by a stranger, it could be committed by someone they know and trust, like a parent.
When calling the police it is very important to give the call taker an accurate description of the suspect along with any vehicle used if at all possible.
What Parents Can Do
There are several things that a parent can do to help their children's awareness of strangers and keep them safe. Parents should always know where their child is at all times and never leave them at home or in a car alone.
It is also a good idea to be sure your child has all the necessary information such as:
- Knowing their full name, address, and phone number.
- Knowing where parents work and how to reach them.
- Never speak to strangers or get into a vehicle with a stranger.
- Understanding no one has the right to touch them in areas a bathing suit would cover.
- Report to a parent, police officer, or school authority if someone would expose themselves to them or if someone tries to assault or lure them.
Important Rules for Children
- Never go to a friend's house with out speaking to a parent first.
- Never talk to or take anything from a stranger.
- Remain with parents when out with them.
- Move away from a vehicle that may pull up next to them and run and scream if a stranger calls them from a vehicle.
- Immediately inform a parent or police if a stranger tries to grab them.
What Community Members Can Do
As a community member it is important to be aware of any strangers that may be in your neighborhood especially, those that pay undue attention to children. It is always a good idea to write down details about the strangers in your neighborhood such as the vehicles they may be driving and overall appearance.
Most importantly please be sure to call the police immediately if you witness someone screaming or being chased by anyone.