Abandoned or impounded vehicles or equipment that have remained in custody in the City (through the Kearney Police Department) for a period of ninety (90) days without a claim of ownership, in addition to any surplus equipment owned by the City of Kearney, shall be sold at auction utilizing a licensed third party auctioneer and use of an online auction website. Registration and bidding is conducted on the auctioneer's website. For information regarding current auction notices, or upcoming auctions, please visit Tri-City Auction Center.
Information about the City of Kearney's Auction:
- The City reserves the right to reject any or all bids and waive any and all informalities.
- All bidders are required to register with Tri-City Auction Center in order to place a bid on an item.
- The name shown on the paid receipt for a vehicle or equipment will be the name listed on the vehicle’s title (No exceptions allowed).
- A paid receipt is required to pick up items.
- All property sold by the City of Kearney or the Kearney Police Department is sold "as is" with no warranties of any kind by the City of Kearney.
The City of Kearney does not provide loading services for buyers to remove their merchandise. Buyers must provide enough man power to load items themselves. Any and all methods of lifting, towing, and hauling, as well as removal are the sole responsibility of the buyer. The ownership of any and all items not removed by the final pick up day will revert back to the City of Kearney.
Notice Regarding Impounded or Unclaimed Property with the Kearney Police Department:
Vehicles and property sent to auction may be claimed by the owner no later than 4:00 pm the day bidding starts. Once bidding starts, vehicles and property can no longer be claimed and will be sold to the highest bidder. By claiming the vehicle or property, the owner will be required to pay all fees associated with the vehicle or property before released, otherwise the vehicle or property will return to the auction process.
Vehicles sold at auction are stored in a secured Police Impound Lot. The following will apply after the vehicles are sold:
- Jump starting and inflating of tires is allowed for safe and quick removal.
- All other repairs, including locksmith services will have to be done after the vehicle is removed from the impound lot.
- Buyer will be responsible to arrange for towing of vehicle from Police Impound Lot and all related expenses.
- Tows need to be arranged in advance of vehicle pick up.
- The Kearney Police Department has arranged for personnel to be available the day after the auction ends from 11 AM to 4PM for the release of vehicles purchased at auction.
- Buyers will obtain sale documentation from Tri-City Auction, provide documentation to Records Staff at the Law Enforcement Center and then be directed to the impound lot to obtain the vehicle.