Portable Fire Extinguishers
Portable fire extinguishers are appropriate for small contained fires. There are several types of portable fire extinguishers available for ordinary combustibles, flammable liquids or electrical equipment.
The most common fire extinguisher available is the multipurpose dry chemical type. This extinguisher uses a dry chemical agent that can be used on all three types of fires. A properly used fire extinguisher may extinguish or at least control a small contained fire.
The Kearney Volunteer Fire Department does not sell or service fire extinguishers.
Using a Portable Fire Extinguisher
To use a portable fire extinguisher remember PASS:
- Pull the safety pin
- Aim at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle
- Sweep from side to side
Fire Fighting Preparations
Before you begin to fight a fire be sure:
- Everyone has been alerted and they have left or are leaving the building
- 9-1-1 has been called to alert the fire department
- The fire is confined to a small area and is not spreading
- You have a clear exit to your back to escape if needed
For More Information
For more information, please contact the Kearney Fire Department at (308) 233-3226.