Skip to Main Content
City of Kearney COVID-19 Response
How Do I...
The leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking. One in eight households will have a cooking fire each year. Following are some general steps to safe cooking:
Watch what you heat.
Keep things that can catch fire away from heat.
Know what to do if you have a cooking fire. Don’t plan on throwing anything on a cooking fire. This practice may spread the fire or cause serious injuries.
Keep children away from cooking areas to prevent burns and scalds.
Install and use cooking appliances safely.
Open food that has been microwaved slowly and away from the face.
Leave the door closed on ovens and microwaves until fire is out.
Make sure you have working smoke alarms
For more information, please contact the Fire Department at 233-3226
Child Window Decals
Disposal of Fireplace Ashes
Home Escape Plan (PDF)
Slideshow Left Arrow
Slideshow Right Arrow